PLANNING TO ELOPE IN BIG BEND?
So you love adventure and the outdoors. You are ready to get your big day going without the stress of planning an entire wedding. You want simple but memorable. Well, eloping in Big Bend is likely for you! However, it's important to keep a few things in mind to avoid stress and chaos. I have listed five important things that you should know before packing up and heading to the park. Here they are:
- Pick a date...
- Then look at weather conditions for that time of year in the park. Different plants thrive at different times of the year. For example, if you want blooming Ocotillo it's probably better to go late March - April.
- Research the park
- Know the locations that interest you in the park. The geography can vary in the park and could look different depending on where you go. Know what kind of look you want. If you don't, your photographer should be able to help you with that! Don't forget there is a park entrance fee. Also, be aware that depending on which park entrance to use will affect timing. The park is large and traveling from one side to the other can consume a lot of your time.
- Decide what you will do for dinner
- Some locations are not close to amenities and close before you can physically drive to them. Consider if you want to go to a restaurant, cook at an AirBnb or pack your own meal. This will help you decide on a location in the park.
- Pick and book your vendors
- For example, an elopement photographer, like me, to follow you around and make you laugh. An officiant. Make that room reservation. Don't forget about florals. There are a handful of florist that make beautiful pieces that add detail to your day. And if you are wanting hair and makeup done, it's important to schedule this in advance.
- Don't forget about permits and maintenance
- Make sure you get the right permits and check park closures and maintenance of roads. You can find park information on their official website: Big Bend National Park.
I have been traveling to Big Bend National Park regularly for about a year and a half now. I am fairly close (in West Texas terms) to the park - I live in West Texas. These are some tips for eloping in Big Bend that I have learned through my own trial and error. They seem simple but forgetting any of them could add stress to the big day. Making sure you check these off of your list will absolutely reduce your stress about the big day!
Follow me on Instagram, The Roaming Coyote, for more tips and information on eloping in West Texas. Fill out my contact form to inquire and book.